Requirements relating to the sponsorship of employee benefit plans increase in number and change every year. You need to keep pace. Our compliance practice is supported by Marathas Barrow & Weatherhead LLP, a premier employee benefits, executive compensation and employment law firm. All of our published ERISA and regulatory material is provided by or vetted through Marathas Barrow & Weatherhead LLP. Our clients can access these resources to assist in the ongoing maintenance of their plans. This includes access to general plan guidance, training webinars, model documents and forms, and other tools to help meet the compliance and regulatory requirements of employee benefit plan sponsorship.
Our consultants use a comprehensive compliance tool that serves as the foundation for our practice. We work with clients to identify areas of concern or need and then jointly determine a strategy to resolve. In many instances, our client teams manage these issues independently, and in some cases they enlist the support of one of our specialists. In cases where there is clearly a legal concern, we can facilitate introductions to outside counsel and participate as appropriate in the issue’s resolution. Frequent questions or issues relate to:
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- ERISA non-discrimination rules, including issues concerning regarding wellness programs, premiums and discounts, and similar issues
- COBRA, including operation, notice, and related matters
- HIPAA Privacy and Security
- Filing and other requirements, such as Form 5500s
- HRA, HSA, FSA operation, and non-discrimination rules, etc.
- Cafeteria plan operation, such as change in status and other rules
- General compliance issues for welfare benefit plans
As audits become sources of revenue for the Department of Labor and as the number of audits increase, keeping plans compliant should be a priority.